5 Reasons Your Ducts Become Contaminated
Every couple of years, it is greatly beneficial to get some professional duct cleaning. During these years, high amounts of different dust, dirt and debris can build up in the ductwork of a home. Even worse than much of this debris is the accumulation of insects and vermin which could make a new home in your ductwork and create a number of issues. Luckily for you, there are a number of preventable measures you can take to reduce that chances for any serious accumulation.
– Change out your air filters occasionally: This step should be your main priority. In the case that your air filter becomes clogged and backed up, it will no longer be able to stop the flow of contaminants into your ductwork. You can see the lifespan of the filter usually printed on the outside of the packaging.
– Change Clogged Filters: While Filters have an average lifespan, it is a smart move if you get it halfway through its lifespan. A quick weekly inspection is good to make sure that everything is working properly.
– Construction Work: Any construction or renovation work can cause a dangerous situation for your ventilation system. Be sure that your contractor seals off both of the return and supply registers and that you don’t run your HVAC system until all the dust is cleared out.
– Correct Humidifier Usage: improper use of a humidifier, can directly lead to problems with your air ducts.
– Remove Duct & Vacuum: The dust which comes into your duct system, often comes from your home. Be sure that you are dusting and vacuuming your home regularly to reduce the supply of contamination.